Monday 23 February 2015

Button Making

Mostly, I make my own patterns when creating stamps for my pottery buttons, but once in a while, I come across something that is just screaming to be turned into a button or a stamp.

The large button on the left came to me in my Grandmother's button jar.  Just the one.  It is 1 3/4" in diameter and made of plastic.  I didn't really have a use for the single button, but I love the pattern in the middle, and I really thought it would make cute smaller buttons. 
I imprinted it into a piece of clay, bisque fired it...

 ...and now I have a stamp to make new, smaller buttons.

 The pattern isn't nearly as crisp as the original button once they are glazed, but they kind of look worn and like they have a history to share.

With shrinkage (for the stamp and for the buttons themselves), there is a significant size difference.  The center went from 7/8" to 11/16".  

5 comments:

  1. I like that there is a story with these buttons. It makes them unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that there is a story with these buttons. It makes them unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I love your work! These buttons are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what intricate work...your buttons are beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete